Required Software

Alexandru Lazar alexandru.lazar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 19:54:39 CET 2007

> I've been working with Linux for such a long time and I'm not sure what
> that VPN client is. Truth is, though most popular network devices
> (Cisco, etc.) use VPN that Linux supports, it's Microsoft's VPN system
> that's most prevalent in the companies I've encountered. Does anyone
> know which VPN system works with MS? The choices for Linux I'm aware of
> are Open/FreeSWAN (IPSec), Cisco VPN 5000 client, PPTP VPN and OpenVPN
> (SSL-based).

OpenVPN sounds like a decent choice for porting, as it runs in
userspace, but afaik it's not compatible with MS (or any other VPN
solution). However, it does run on Linux, *BSD, OS X and Windows (I've
seen it ran on WinXP, not sure about Vista but it should do well).
It's also pretty secure (uses SSL and can use HMAC too). I haven't
looked at the code though so I can't say if it would be easy to port
or not.

> Security is very important to roaming devices which have to go through
> public infrastructures like the Internet.

:-D