Possibilities for commercial software?

Knight Walker moko at kobran.org
Fri Jan 26 08:22:50 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 22:04 +0100, Ortwin Regel wrote:
> I like open source and stuff but some things, especially games, are
> closed in many cases. What are the possibilities for selling closed
> software for OpenMoko devices? Will there be a central online
> marketplace? What about DRM, is there a way to bind a program to a
> sync ID like it's usually done with PalmOS or to a device ID? (It
> should be possible to bind it to an SD card ID, right?) Any creative
> ideas how to solve the usual issues people have with stupid DRM
> systems etc. and still being able to get money for software
> development?

There are as many possibilities for selling closed software on the
OpenMoKo platform as there are on any other device; probably more, since
the SDK doesn't cost a mint for a developer license.  As for DRM, it is
my honest opinion that it is entirely wrong-headed and causes more harm
than good, and I would be very surprised if anyone implements it on this
platform.  I know that when (not if) I buy one, I will absolutely not
allow any of that crap on my hardware.  But I'm not averse to buying
software, including games, especially if it's good.

As for getting money for software development, people were doing that
long before DRM was the gleam in a corporate monopolist's eye.  Again,
it is my honest opinion that one can make money selling software for the
OpenMoKo, but it will probably require time, patience, and talent. and
passion for your work.  If your software is good, reasonably priced, and
easily attainable, you should be able to make some money.  Make it
easier to buy the software from you than to pirate it and you should do
alright. While I can't speak for the company, I'm sure there will be
tons of on-line software clearinghouses for OpenMoKo software.  If the
company doesn't create one, someone else will, and if you're serious
about selling software on the OpenMoKo platform, you'll have it listed
on all of them.

Personally, I'm really excited about this phone, even though it doesn't
have everything my heart desires, and I've already been working on ideas
for enhancements to existing (proposed) software as well as new
software.  However I'm not planning on trying to make any money off of
it, and will be releasing it under a Free license.

-KW