Possibilities for commercial software?

Simon simon80 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 21:44:15 CET 2007

On 1/26/07, Paul Wouters <paul at xelerance.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Harald Welte wrote:
>
> > So I sincerely doubt that OpenMoko would ever actively support
> > proprietary applications (e.g. by DRM hooks).  We certainly cannot do
> > anything against them, though.
>
> GPLv3?

The GPLv3 does nothing to stop people from using DRM to protect
proprietary software.  The aim of DRM provisions in that license is to
prevent people from using GPLv3 licensed software on a hardware
device, and then using DRM to remove the user's freedoms to change the
GPLDv3 software on the device.  The most widely cited example of this
is Tivo, which runs Linux, but uses DRM to prevent users from
modifying the software that runs on their Tivos.  It's a controversial
clause, Linus Torvalds has said that he thinks hardware sellers should
have the freedom to do this, as long as they comply with the GPLv2.