Required Software

Knight Walker moko at kobran.org
Fri Jan 26 21:53:57 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 10:16 -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
I've been working with Linux for such a long time and I'm not sure what
> that VPN client is. Truth is, though most popular network devices
> (Cisco, etc.) use VPN that Linux supports, it's Microsoft's VPN system
> that's most prevalent in the companies I've encountered. Does anyone
> know which VPN system works with MS? The choices for Linux I'm aware of
> are Open/FreeSWAN (IPSec), Cisco VPN 5000 client, PPTP VPN and OpenVPN
> (SSL-based).

There's one I've heard of called PopTop that is supposed to work with
Microsoft's PPTP VPN system.  As for Cisco, there is the VPN client, but
I don't like compiling their modules into my kernel.  The one I use with
the Ciscos at work is called vpnc
( http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/ ) and it works well, only
requiring the tun/tap driver in the kernel.  OpenVPN, while it's my
favorite, is only compatible with itself.

> Security is very important to roaming devices which have to go through
> public infrastructures like the Internet.

I agree, which is why my OpenMoKo will probably have vpnc and OpenVPN on it.

-KW