Unified Profile Management

Richard Franks richard.franks at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jan 26 23:21:46 CET 2007

> Example.  Instead of a calendar app just muting the phone when in a
> meeting (nice feature) it would activate a profile (maybe "silent" or
> "meeting").  Other apps could also use those profiles.  For instance a
> GPS location aware app could know to use the same "silent" or "meeting"
> profile when you were at movies, church (or anywhere you wouldn't want
> your phone to ring).

We have the opportunity to re-think 'profiles', they do have their limitations!

> Not only will this make for a MUCH better user experience (less
> redundant work).  It will GREATLY speed up application development (no
> complex interface for "what to do" just a single simple dropdown "what
> profile" for this action/trigger).

I'm thinking of something mostly transparent to the end-user, which has
the same benefits you list.. I may finally make some time to get this
off the drawing board this weekend :-)

http://www.linuxtogo.org/gowiki/OpenMoko/Ideas/ConceptualFramework

Richard