GNU discussion (was re:Free your phone)

Dave Crossland dave at
Sat Jan 27 14:27:54 CET 2007

On 27/01/07, Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl at> wrote:
> On Saturday 27 January 2007 12:23:52 Dave Crossland wrote:
> > > And besides, the BSDL predates the GPLv1 by a decade.
> > This is simply untrue.
> >
> > I have done some research on this:
> >

> > "In 1989 the "Networking Tape 1" was released; this was the first time
> > that BSD UNIX code was available to anyone without a very expensive
> > proprietary license from AT&T."
> That does in no way proof me wrong. Before that, there was always some AT&T
> code in BSD, so it wasn't completely BSDL and couldnt not be used without
> permission from AT&T. THat doesn't say the BSDL didnt exist.

I genuinely, sincerely would appreciate it if you found some reference
for this, other than you saying it.

Because the reference I just stated contradicts you:

"In June 1989 the Berkeley group took just this approach, releasing
the TCP/IP code and a set of supporting utilities that had been
written without any AT&T code as 'Networking Release 1.' 'Networking
Release 1 came with generous licensing terms. This was the first
example of what would later be called a BSD-style license."