GNU discussion

Renaissance Man renaissanceman at macmail.com
Sat Jan 27 18:12:54 CET 2007

Well you managed to miss the point of my *metaphor* (not straw man),
even though I spelt it out for you:
"The point is real "freedom" is measured on a "whole picture" basis,
not on an individual basis."

> How are you "less free" as a result?

Apple's iPhone, for instance, contains open source software, but
because it's totally reliant on un-free software I can't add VoIP via
WiFi to it for instance, effectively nullifying the freedom aspect of
the free software component for its users. All the effort that went
into that free software to make it free is nullified for me as a user
and Apple (a large purveyor  or largely un-free software) gets a leg
up (boosting it's ability to compete against free software) that it
wouldn't have had if that software had been licenced under the GPL,
effectively making the society I live in less free.

Renaissance Man