h.264 format is now open?

Bryce Leo bryce.leo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 00:05:07 CET 2007

> This is not probably called for at this point, Neo1973 pretty certainly
> does _not_ have enough horsepower to play back h.264. (I'm hoping to

I think you'd be surprised. I'm going to bet that there won't be much
of an issue getting smooth playback. If you look at the brains of the
iPod Video it uses and ARM922T (32-bit) @ 200MHz, with 8K/8K cache.
The processor of the Neo1973 is 32/16 bit running at 266mhz with
16K/16K cache. By the specs it should really be quite easy to get
running... unless you're saying that those guys over at Apple Inc. can
outcode us? And i'm sure you're not sayng that :-D

And besides i'm sure that if for some reason h.264 had problems and
Ogg/Theora solution would be significantly less intensive on the
hardware (and thus probably better on your battery too).