Hint for all webmail-user Re: Hint for gmail-users: How to mute a conversation

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Sun Jan 28 15:28:10 CET 2007

Salve Declan!

Declan Naughton schrieb am Sonntag, den 28. Januar 2007 um 13:59h:

Will this help to let the community grow?

I don't know if webmailer offer threading the mails -
I just concerned that many mails without the right tool,
an email client with threading function, will bother the
users. As more people will join this list, as more mails
will be posted.
Looking on an debian-user, asterisk or kernel mailinglist
people (used to get 5 mails a day) will be shooked when
they get a mail flood - without seeing the overview who
is answering whom.

So the tip of unsubscribing is not the best one
to let the community grown.

For somebody who don't know about to use mailfilter to
get the mails automaticaly in the right mailbox, a seperate
mail account like <openmoko at robertmichel.de> helps. This
could be also a freemailer.

But viewing the mails without threading could be a big
mess... so I have only the experiances with mutt and give
this advice - but there are other mailclients which support
threading and maybe also webmailer which do this.

Sencers hint is IMHO usefull - don't take it personal that
not everyone is interested in every thread.

IMHO charing some skills will help that also people not
experinaced with big mailinglist stay on this list
;)

Also I would appreciate that people would ask on this mailinglist
for help like
  "I'm using Thunderbird for reading this mail, but this
   mailflood is mixing with my privat mails - what can I do?"
instead of unsubscribe.

Having people on this list, and having as early user of OpenMoko/Neo1973
without Linux Admin skills are important - we can profit from their
feedback to make OpenMoko/Neo1973 mass market ready
- so in return we should let them profit by beeing here
e.g. by learning how to mange mails more efficent.

When they unsubscribe we would be a big loss.
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/002401.html

Greetings
rob

PS: Don't get me wrong with my tip of a vserver... I think
    client server solutions will play an important role with
    OpenMoko/Neo1973, also how to select and filter information
    and mails to do not spend to much money on expensive GSM/GPRS
    communication.