Possibilities for commercial software?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Jan 28 19:15:03 CET 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, David Schlesinger wrote:

> I still don't see how trying to limit people's choices is "more free" than
> letting them make their own choices.

You are leaving out one important issue here. The "free" market is in fact
already forcing non-free decisions on you. You can try to avoid all of those
forced decisions, but like you said, you wouldn't be able to live a normal
life.

Look at how apple used BSD code to trap users into not running their own
software on the apple hardware. Is it their freedom to enforce that upon
us? Or has freedom been taken away from us? Look at Fairplay/itunes, and
realise that Fairplay is proprietary code, which is probably using a lot
of BSD code in there. Is that the "freedom" we wanted to give when writing
BSD code? I guess it is, which is why I am a GPL person, despite the
fact that I do own an OSX laptop.

So to answer your question, are you "more free" due to BSD code in apple
products, or "less free"? I believe you are less free.

Paul