OMG wiki license

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Jan 29 01:16:25 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 23:31 -0500, Simon wrote:
> I'm usually a big nitpicker on the legal side, but suspend that for a
> moment and ask yourselves: is anybody who contributed to the wiki
> going to want to sue FIC for importing the content into an official
> wiki? I think that any major effort to restart the wiki is wasted
> effort that could be better spent elsewhere, whether for OpenMoko
> related activities or not.
>
> In any case, if you're going to get a license agreement on the wiki,
> it does not belong in the editable part of pages, it belongs in the
> edit UI as an agreement, i.e. "By submitting content to this wiki you
> agree that you own the copyright for the submitted content, and agree
> to release it under the GNU Free Documentation License.".  That way
> you don't have to waste effort putting a header on each page, and you
> don't have to worry about the integrity of all of the headers.
> However, I still don't think that there is a licensing issue with the
> content of the wiki, since the only people contributing to it would be
> extremely likely to be supportive of OpenMoko.

Ok, legal stuff is very serious, however...

Ok, another option, since a direct import is not probaby going to happen
is to, once the new wiki is live, summarize and help build the new wiki
using the temp one as guide, with the explicit directive that no
copy-and-paste is allowed, however linking is ok.

To all wiki-ppl out there, remember to always set-up licensing on your
wiki prior to the start of your wiki.

This is the easiest thing to do and saves the most time...cool? If so,
then back to work, right ;)

Jon