Phone enhancements

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Tue Jan 30 04:19:10 CET 2007

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 1/29/07, Graham Auld <openmoko at graham.auld.me.uk> wrote:

To do inertial guidance, you need to know your initial speed/direction,
and the accellerations after that time.
However, with a 2 or even 3 axis accellerometer in the neo, you can't
reliably do this, as there is no way of determining which direction the
neo faces.

The constant accelleration of gravity helps with long term
disambiguation, somewhat, though it's possible in a plane for example to
fly into the ground, ending up inverted pulling 1G towards the ground,
without the water in a glass of water on the console ever moving.

The phone can't tell between you spinning round horizontally with the
phone in your outstretched arm, from you braking from high speed.

To do this it needs an orientation reference of some sort, a 3-axis
compass, or gyros.

Micromachined gyros these days are not very expensive, neither are
accellerometers, but you're still looking at maybe $30 in volume, and
the resultant position rapidly gets inaccurate, drifting a few degrees a
minute, and a meter a second a so a minute. (for an uncertainty of maybe
   30m radius after 1m, 3Km after 10m.

(there is significant tradeoff of accuracy vs cost, you can get maybe 10
times better than this, more gets into the range that you need to go to
fiber optic gyros, which will not fit in any reasonable phone)