Fax modem? Fax software? Neo as T.38 gateway?

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Tue Jan 30 19:59:58 CET 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> * Jonathon Suggs <jsuggs at murmp.com> [070130 18:46]:
>> Harald Welte wrote:
>>> yes, the GSM Modem we use has standard AT command Fax modem functionality.
>>
>> I'm not 100% sure about everything I'm about to say, but I vaguely remember some things from a similar discussion a while back.
>>
>> In order for you to send/receive fax via a GSM connection requires you to notify your carrier and them enable some features (CSD fax/data service plan).
>
> Naturally ;) It's a kind of "CSD data" connection, but it also needs
> support by the GSM module, that's the question.
>
> (btw, a mobile with some connection to my linux laptop, plus efax are
> quite ok to "print" single pages, like invoices on the run :) )

Not at all a Neo feature, but if we did have the ability to send a fax then a
USB scanner (powered of course) would be a very handy way to scan documents
and send them via fax, on the rare occassion that you have to do that.

I'm sure there are portable battery powered USB scanners.

Come to think of it, regardless of fax, it would be handy to be able to scan
images into the Neo, such as business cards at conferences, or the brilliant
invention you sketched on a bar napkin. I suppose we just need to get the
device driver for the scanner and some image capture software cross-compiled.

I suppose Gimp would be a little too heavy for the Neo :-)

Michael