Email Push Service :) smtp+dnotify+Asterisk+... :)

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Tue Jan 30 21:22:01 CET 2007

Salve,

I can't understand why Blackberry and other has become
so big into the market, because the server side software
for a push service are normal linux admins tools.

But wait - the client side need some open programmable
devices - like OpenMoko and the Neo1973 :)))

When GPRS is always on, than it needs just a emailclient
checks regulary every n minutes for new mail - huuuu
that's innovation - didn't we used to use this fetching
emails from pop, imap or mailboxes since years?
(Myself since 1990)

Soo I'm not keen in having an email push service,
but I'm tired to hear the hype in the news about this.

Again, when GPRS is always on, push service is silly
buzzword, but what when GPRS is off?

Than we can use
1. smtp and some filter to get only the right mails
   into /var/mail/rob2neo1973
2. dnotify will starts a script when a new file
   is in /var/mail/rob2neo1973
3. this script will copy a callfile with a seperate
   callerid into
   /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing
4. the Neo1973 gets a phonecall from this callerid,
   rejet this call and starts skript2 on the Neo
5. skript2 will switch on GPRS and fetch the new
   mail via POP or IMAP
   and after downloading the mail it will inform
   the user (depend on the dailingprofil)

So did I missed something? Why is push services
and the software for this such a hype?

I thing this populare solution did not worth a look
to see what we can copy - free imanigation will be
more creative :)

E.g. when having such a auto-download mechanism,
it would be good, when could work with different
cost and battery levels... - with hight data costs
(e.g. beeing abroud) or low battery level only short
information will be "pushed" - and wih very hight
data cost or very low battery it will only show
how many new mails/that new mails are in the servers
box

Giving different senders different priority would be
fine - maye in combination of the profiles
work/spare time

And a way that the user cold set up it's server filter rules
remotly with its Neo1973.

I'm shure we will have much fun with OpenMoko/Neo1973
using standard tools on the Neo and on a server side :)

Cheers,
rob