idea for Neo 2nd generation: Accelerometer

Ortwin Regel ortwin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 17:51:17 CET 2007

It's not difficult to understand but I think it's not a very intuitive
idea. Ideally future OpenMoko devices would have multitouch which
would get us very intuitive zoom and movement along the map. Using an
accelerometer to control something is a good idea for the Wii where
you have the controller detached from the screen. On a mobile phone
you'd always move the screen, too, when you shake it, tilt it or move
it. Then it becomes tiring to move around with the screen to keep
seeing what's going on. Also, you have to be able to move the screen
around to get the best lighting conditions and you have to be able to
move the device while walking/driving etc. without it trying to
interpret your random movements as controlls.