Is vim included out-of-the-box or shall i port? (was: Re: Development environment

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 20:24:46 CET 2007

On 1/31/07, Richi Plana <myopenmoko at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
> > To justify this being on the developer list and not the community list I could
> > pretend that only developers will want vim on their Neo.
>
> Why would you want vim (or any source editor) running on your Neo? First
> of all, the primary interface to the Neo is still its touchscreen.
> Keyboards won't be available for a while. Second, it probably won't be
> worth it to develop applications on the device itself (if that were even
> possible given the memory constraints).
>
> If you need to edit text on the phone, use the existing text editor
> which, in all likelihood, will take better advantage of the interface
> than vim would. I'm sure you could live without syntax highlighting for
> a spell.

For embedded Linux development, it is very handy to have a decent
editor running on the target device.  Often there is a need to edit
configuration files etc.  This is typically done over ssh/network
connection from your host system -- you don't run VIM on the target
display.  Because VIM is so easy to build/install with OE, why not :-)

Cliff