Is vim included out-of-the-box or shall i port? (was: Re: Development environment

Robert Michel openmoko at robertmichel.de
Wed Jan 31 20:39:11 CET 2007

Salve Richi!

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Richi Plana wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 08:52 -0800, michael at michaelshiloh.com wrote:
> > Speaking of vim, will vim (or another derivitive of vi) be among the included
> > applications, or shall I try cross-compiling it right now? (I can't live w/out
> > vim).
> >
> > To justify this being on the developer list and not the community list I could
> > pretend that only developers will want vim on their Neo.
>
> Why would you want vim (or any source editor) running on your Neo? First
> of all, the primary interface to the Neo is still its touchscreen.
> Keyboards won't be available for a while.

This isn't true. Battery powerd USB hubs and USB Keyboards are on the
market and costs togehter less then 20Euro. And most text edior have
a uniq way how they behave - so having several ediors for the users
to choose that on that they used to - it will be a good solution for
everybody - no need to start an editor flamewar :))

And I'm realy happy about the desin without a keyboard but
a great touchscreen of the Neo. Short text input / modification
with the touchscreen, writing more text = using an external
normal keyboard, IMHO the perfect solution for a mobil computer.

I, myself like to use vim, I use vim to write my emails - mutt is
calling vim and so I would like when vi (with busybox) or vim is
on the neo. Touchscreen is a point to think about that a virtual
keyboard could be optimized for different editors.. e.g. is ESC
often used, working with vim.. :)

BTW vim is also usable with the textbrowser elinks - when editing
text boxes...

So I see demand and use for vim with OpenMoko.

Greetings,
rob