Any alternative ideas to fullscreen popup-messages?

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Wed Jan 31 22:17:31 CET 2007

On 1/31/07, Bryan Fink <bryan.fink at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/31/07, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org> wrote:
> > Let's distinguish two types of popup-dialogs:
> >
> > a) informative (i.e. battery low, incoming sms, sms sent)
> > b) confirmative ("Mickey calling. Answer / Ignore / Reject?", "Do you
> > want to remove all contacts?")
> >
> > Right now, we're leaning towards (ab)using the bottom status bar (in
> > openmoko-language called 'footer') for informative dialogs and using
> > half screen (480x320) popup dialogs for confirmative.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think the first time it pops up while I'm doing something else
> ("Mickey calling. Answer/Ignore/Reject?" while I'm putting something
> on my calendar), and I accidentally click one of the buttons, I'm
> going to be very annoyed.  I'd also be annoyed if I had to deal with
> the dialog before going back to whatever I was doing.

Right, I would agree that any alerts that will provide inputs for
choosing an option such as "Answer/Ignore incoming call" be in an area
that is not currently being used.

I have this happen on my current mobile when using the 2 buttons for
editing an entry and then the states of the buttons change to
answer/decline. But the Neo can be smarter :)

So the 'footer' can be a restricted 100px (or something) high status
bar that apps wouldn't display in. Then if a call comes in, a
pulsating red phone icon or exclamation point  shows up. You can then
click it to have the half-screen footer slide up.

> My preference would be some system whereby I could select a list of
> events that are allowed to interrupt me, and to what level they're
> allowed to interrupt - visual: fullscreen/halfscreen/footer/none;
> audio: interrupt/mix over/none.

This seems like too much work to setup profiles/configurations etc.
Most users probably wouldn't bother. Very important to consider "The
Power of Defaults" :) See Flickr and default "Public" on photos vs.
private by all the other photo sites.