Email Push Service :) smtp+dnotify+Asterisk+... :)

Redvers Davies openmoko at unixfu.com
Wed Jan 31 20:00:20 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 23:49 -0800, Elliot F. wrote:
> Google talk has a persistent connection between the client and the
> server.   With a persistent connection, pushing data is pretty easy.

We have to use a persistant connection as most GSM networks use private
address space and NAT.  This means we can't just throw a UDP packet at
the phone.

IMAP is an asyncronous protocol.  The purpose of the IDLE command is
JUST to spot the IMAP server tearing down the connection.  IDLE is not a
poll, if configured correctly the IMAP server will just spit out
notifications on the existing TCP stream as and when mails come in.

Red