Advertising/hype

Nick Johnson arachnid at notdot.net
Sun Jul 1 11:33:35 CEST 2007

I just came across the OpenMoko project recently, but I'm enthused
enough I intend to buy one on release day, even if shipping to NZ _is_
expensive. I'm really impressed with the project, and after being
extremely disappointed with how closed the Apple iPhone is, it's a
relief to see someone's doing a phone the right way. If you asked me
for a feature list for my ideal phone, you'd pretty much end up with a
good description of the OpenMoko. ;)

Which brings me to a sudden (though premature) thought I had. I read
one or two other posts in the archives about advertising/hype, and it
occurred to me that the contrast between the iPhone and the OpenMoko
is like night and day. Even better, Apple have a very successful
advertising campaign that's just begging to be spoofed.

So now I'm imagining a few ads along these lines...

---

Scene: Completely blank white background.
Two people enter the frame.

Moko: Hi, I'm an OpenMoko
iPhone: And I'm an iPhone
* OpenMoko looks like he's enjoying himself
iPhone: What are you doing?
Moko: Oh, I just downloaded this great new game I came across. Want to try it?
iPhone: I, er, I can't play new games. I've got this great game of
solitaire, though!
Moko: That's a shame. Nothing at all?
iPhone: Well, I can play games off the web. Some of them. Want a game
of bejeweled?
Moko: ...thanks, no. I'm fine.

---

You get the idea. Obviously I'm no script writer. ;)

-Nick Johnson