New Oceans

Thomas Gstädtner thomas at gstaedtner.net
Mon Jul 2 10:51:14 CEST 2007

I think you are right with the distributor-"problematic".
Maybe the devices will get cheaper when there's a bigger amount of orders.
Imho €500 is very much money, but if I had to pay this for a free, not as in
free beer, device - well, I had to pay it. ;)
Also I think that distributors will get the devices cheaper, maybe at $400
or $350. So the chances to get the device for €450 or less on the free
market are high.

I heard people saying they'd never buy a FIC device, because it's a big bad
company and they'd buy a device by HTC and try to get OpenMoko running.
That's not my opinion - I'm glad and very thankful to FIC that they are the
first who produce a phone as open as possible and support a completely
opened sofwareplattform. The price for freedom was always high (whatever
this price was, not only in money), and if I have to pay more money than
usual (but don't forget, Nokia and HTC also want to have about 400 to 600
USD for their devices, the people just think the subsidized devices by
mobile carriers are the normal price) and I'm willing to pay this price in
money (we can be glad to get a bit freedom for money!) for the device I ever
wanted.