GPS can work stand-alone (Re: Advertising/hype)

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at
Mon Jul 2 12:24:52 CEST 2007

ma, 2007-07-02 kello 22:02 +1200, Nick Johnson kirjoitti:
> I would do it myself, but from what I hear, the AGPS chip in the Neo
> isn't even going to work on NZ's cellular network. Pity. :/

Umm, the GPS chip and driver don't rely on the cellular network to
function. They can work completely stand-alone. You can get a quicker
cold fix if the driver can fetch some assist data from the network
(what, NZ don't have GPRS?), but this isn't required.

Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at     - <URL:>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:>
Singularitarian - SIAI supporter - <URL:>