GPS can work stand-alone (Re: Advertising/hype)

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Mon Jul 2 12:40:49 CEST 2007

ma, 2007-07-02 kello 22:31 +1200, Nick Johnson kirjoitti:
> NZ has GPRS, but my understanding was that the AGPS requires the
> network to explicitly support it to get the assist data - that's
> certainly what everything I've read has indicated. I thought it was
> also required to get a fix at all - that the AGPS chip offloads some
> of the harder work onto the network, as that's what a workmate told me
> - but if he's wrong, I'm glad. ;)

Well, the AGPS concept isn't exactly well-defined, and operators have at
least tried to get their explicit services to be necessary for the
operation of such devices. Even position calculation offloading has been
considered, maybe even implemented somewhere (dunno), but that's rather
ludicurous, as it's not really that CPU intensive.

Anyway, the Global Locate AGPS chip/driver combination is indeed of the
flexible variety that _can_ function standalone, but can also take
advantage of assist data for faster/better fixing.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>