GPS can work stand-alone (Re: Advertising/hype)

Nick Johnson arachnid at notdot.net
Tue Jul 3 11:55:07 CEST 2007

On 7/3/07, Mathias Rüdiger <ruediger at blueboot.org> wrote:
> No excuses left Nick. Seems that you have to write a wefi clone :)

Looks like it. ;)

Actually, I was thinking something more OpenMoko specific - a sort of
enhanced PIM that lets you store locations and contacts (and contacts
with locations) side-by-side, and a corresponding API so other bits
can take advantage of the data (like the aforementioned
muting-when-entering-cinema stuff).

The other idea for a 'killer mobile gps app' that occurred to me is
some sort of dynamic-flash-mob system, where you can express interest
in various activities, and it'll detect whenever a 'critical mass' of
people for a given activity are close enough together and buzz them
all. Imagine walking past a stranger and suddenly your cellphones buzz
to let you know you're both interested in a quick game of something...

Obviously there are some pretty significant privacy issues that would
be hard to get around for an application like that, though.

-Nick Johnson