Custom case designs...

adrian cockcroft adrian.cockcroft at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:03:47 CEST 2007

I've been designing cases for the homebrew mobile club, posting the design
files on the wiki and producing them on a 3D printer.

http://www.hbmobile.org/wiki/index.php?title=Portrait_oriented_case

I can get these individually made for $40 or so each at
http://www.techshop.ws
a custom case for the FIC 1973 hardware would be smaller and cost less (its
$10/cubic inch).

The CAD software I used didn't really handle embossing text into the case
very easily, and I think its better to use a laser cutter/etcher to write
vector and raster patterns into the surface afterwards. The laser is 1200
dpi, and the 3D printer is more like 100dpi resolution. You can write
anything you want onto just about anything solid that doesn't release toxic
fumes with a 45W CO2 laser. (e.g. you can't write on foam and PVC releases
Chlorine :-) It will etch metal, but can't cut through it.

If FIC release mechanical design spec's for the internal dimensions it would
be easier to wrap a case around it.

Adrian