Custom case designs... (the dot-org perspective)

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Tue Jul 3 21:51:20 CEST 2007

But there's another way to think about this...

I think if you ran these numbers past a business person in the states
they would have all sorts of problems. You're talking about a fair
amount of investment for "not all that much" return. I mean if we
knew the Neo was going to sell as many units as the RAZR and the
iPhone combined, you would be talking about thousands or tens of
thousands of units and it would be easier to make the argument solely
on business terms.

But... the great thing about the TechShop is users can get their
hands dirty building all sorts of fun stuff. So maybe this is more of
a project for a user-group instead of a business. If there's anyone
out there interested in learning about injection molding, this would
be a great project to start with. Jim over at the TechShop is talking
about buying an injection molder sometime this summer, so they'll
have all the parts needed for a low-volume run soon. In the mean
time, interested persons could use the 3D printer to print out new
cases for their Neos.

I don't know that I would have the time to participate in such an
operation, but I suspect that somewhere in the bay area there are
enough interested designers / makers that sharing the cost and effort
would bring the costs down to something pretty reasonable.

Oh... and it would also be easy to laser etch designs on the newly
created plastic cases.

-Cheers
-Matt H.