Custom case designs... (the business perspective)

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 22:55:00 CEST 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:56, Matthew S. Hamrick wrote:
> Also.. to follow up on what Adrian recently said.. The tech shop also
> has a CNC milling machine. I'm no expert, but I believe that the idea
> is that you put a CAD file in one side and take out a completed part
> out the other. So... if you have the CAD files for a case, you could
> feed them into the CNC milling machine instead of the 3D printer and
> viola! aluminum case.
>
> Jim Newton at the TechShop also mentioned he's looking into getting  an
> injection molding machine. I've seen a couple of these sorta 1  shot
> injection molders. You use the CNC machine to create your mold,  then
> you pour plastic pellets in the top, press a button and an  electric
> motor turns the screw that forces the semi-molten pellets  into the
> mold. So.. you could have any number of different cases made  for your
> Neo.
>
> My "back of the envelope" calculations for the cost are:
>
> Fixed Costs:
> 	Mold Design Time	5h		$0
> 	Mold Milling Time	3h		$75
>
> Variable Costs: (per production run)
> 	Mold setup			1h		$10
>
> Variable Costs: (per case)
> 	Plastic Pellets		(1/10)h	$3
>
> So assuming a CAD file for the NEO case were to magically fall out of
> the sky, perhaps as part of a program to seed a third party ecosystem
> (*hint*hint* Sean, are you going to be in the bay area soon?
> *wink*wink*) The cost per case for a production run of 10 and 100
> identical cases would be:
>
> 10 cases: 9h, $115
> 100 cases: 18h, $385
>
> Let's say that I'm terribly impressed with myself and I want to pay
> myself $65 / hr. for my time, the price goes up to:
>
> 10 cases: $700
> 100 cases: $1555
>
> But I'm not going to sell them myself. I'd rather sell them through
> SparkFun or even GumStix.com (but I don't know if either of these  guys
> would be interested.) So, I'm going to add a little bit of  margin.
> This is a risky business, so I'm adding 35%.
>
> 10 cases: $945
> 100 cases: $2100
>
> Nathan and/or Gordon are going to want a margin as well, but I'm
> thinking I'm going to offer them a low-risk proposition: "just put  the
> SKU on your website and I'll handle the fulfillment." So I'm  going to
> argue them down to 7% margin. So in other words, I'm going  to pay them
> a commission for every case they sell. That fee would be:
>
> 10 cases: $65
> 100 cases: $147
>
> We're not talking about a lot of coin, here. From a business
> perspective, the reward of $147 for selling 100 isn't that great.  It's
> probably not going to pay for Nathan or Gordon's time to setup  the SKU
> in their system. But there's always eBay...
>
> Let's say sales taxes are an additional 8.5%:
> 10 cases: $86
> 100 cases: $191
>
> Shipping and handling:
> 10 cases: $90
> [...]

This is definitely an interesting analysis of a set of costs associated
with this kind of business.

I think the costs could be a bit cheaper for the end user depending on
material and costs to build the molds.   But then again, I have not
actually sat down and worked it out yet. /grin

I do think there is a market here though..
--Tim