GPS trail - crazy idea

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 4 02:39:13 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I was wondering of any of the Gtk gurus hanging out here could do
me a little favour. I have this idea that's haunting me in my
sleep, but I don't have the time to implement it. It should be
really easy to do, though.

The idea is to have a GPS tracker/mapper that uses a very simple
GUI with very rapid (finger) interaction to find one's way around
some place. There are no maps. The context is provided by past
movements and/or external information sources, combined by the
user's brain.

Brief description:
http://people.openmoko.org/werner/trail.txt
GUI mockup (for 640x480):
http://people.openmoko.org/werner/trail.ps

The "current location" interface should probably be generic, e.g.,
reading <x-meters, y-meters, seconds> messages from a Unix domain
socket. We can then feed it with fake test data and/or slap on a
converter from NMEA.

I know there are similar programs around, but I don't think they
pursue this light-weight and real-time approach quite to the same
extent.

Anyone feeling like giving it a try ?

- Werner