public access point database

Ryan Prior piratehead at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 07:50:21 CEST 2007

You seem to imply that there is a technical infeasibility that cannot be
overcome. If the public point database were segregated by a UNIX-style
permissions system and connected to via SSH, wouldn't it be just about as
safe as any public file server or database? Files that are "shared" can be
accessed, files that are private stay private. A server-side daemon could
negotiate friends lists, proximity, and other details without ever exposing
private position data publicly.

Am I missing something on the privacy front? Perhaps I just didn't grok your
example.