"Backside Interface for Hand-Held devices"

Ryan Prior piratehead at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:22:47 CEST 2007

A standard drawing pad, such as those used by an artist, is a good example
of Claim 1. As a touch-sensitive input device, it causes a change in cursor
position and state corresponding with the position at which it is touched.
All that differs in Claim 1 of this patent is the stipulation that it is
used in a mobile electronic device, as opposed a relatively less mobile
desktop or laptop computer, such as those used by artists.

Since the other claims simply hinge on claim 1, the whole patent is
basically bunk. I couldn't, for example, patent the idea of a computer mouse
designed for a mobile electronic device just because it's (presumably) never
been done before. It's simply porting an already well-understood concept
from the desktop world to the embedded world - there is no new idea, just a
new implementation.

Peace, fight the power, and say no to bad patents,
Ryan