Brainstorm: less functionality per device, more devices

Hans L thehans at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 22:34:00 CEST 2007

Well, in my version of this idea, everything is contained in one case.  The
case holds all modules inside it.  Open up the case and you can add or
remove little module blocks.  Dropping the device would not lose any modules
unless your case split in half.

I'm just thinking that instead of a static board, with all the components
defined at time of purchase, and permanently soldered in place, you could
have some sort of standard ports/slots on the board.  It would be equivalent
to pci slots on a PC.

OpenMoko carries with it the concept of a non-static software base for your
device.  You are not stuck with the software that came with your phone at
date of purchase.  When new software applications are developed, or new
versions of existing applications, you will be able to upgrade these
things.  My question is: why stop at software?  I think we have the
capabilities to create hardware that is just as upgradeable   Who knows what
types of added functionality the mobile devices of the future will
have(newer/faster wifi or bluetooth specs for a mundane example, maybe
others can think of more imaginative improvements).  If devices are built
with a modular approach, then devices built *today* can be upgradeable to
take advantage of technologies of *tomorrow*.

 - Hans Loeblich