IM application and other questions

Nick Johnson arachnid at notdot.net
Thu Jul 5 23:01:48 CEST 2007

On 7/6/07, Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> Basically this should be handled by the gsm daemon which the app can use
> via libgsmd, but going by the wiki SMS isn't there yet (maybe old data,
> shan't check now). You _could_ use passthrough-mode to send SMS and read
> them from the SIM; I'd think you'd need proper gsmd support to get
> notification about incoming SMS though, avoiding polling...

Is gsmd under our control, or is that the closed-source module I've
heard talked about? If it's open-source, I'll look into adding SMS
support to it.

> Anyway, my impression is that the Powers that Be are rather
> forward-looking and want to do things such as IM with IP connectivity,
> which is all right and proper. Gimme a Jabber client any time. And say
> to people that it's "Google Talk" lest they get confused.
>
> Not to say that there isn't a place for SMS, but those are generally
> insanely priced; at least with data pricing there are islands of
> sanity ;)

That's a great plan for the future, but SMS enjoys very wide
deployment and compatibility right now - far and away greater, on
mobile devices, than anything else. Legacy or not, I think support for
sending and receiving SMSes is a must.

-Nick Johnson