IM application and other questions

Richard Reichenbacher richard5 at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 6 02:09:16 CEST 2007

Actually as far as having AIM being SMS based, Motorola has been doing it
for years.  Their aim app does presence, profiles, away messages, etc, all
based on SMS messages.  I'm not sure how exactly it works but I believe
there are a few carriers here in the states that have aim servers (t-mobile
is one of them and I think cingular has it too), when you refresh your buddy
list it sends several text messages to the server which then texts your
phone back the required data.