Location Privacy Protocols, was Re: GPS trail - crazy idea

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 21:57:03 CEST 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:25, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Another good reason from an open-source product.  Maybe there is a
> vast untapped market for selling open-source phones to the governments
> of the world (to protect them from the other governments of the
> word. ;-))
>
> -wolfgang

Except that as far as I know (someone please correct me if I am wrong )
the GSM part is the side which the telcos can tap into for their
readings and its closed to us. We can be open everywhere else and unless
we have the firmware to the GSM piece we could not prevent the telcos
from tracking us.  Its possible that the government has specially
designed phones but I don't really know. It may not even be in the GSM
piece, but at the tower and control center that they track you.. In
which case there is nothing you can do even if the firmware were open.

Again, that's just guessing.
--Tim