EDGE, lack of 3G and keyboard

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 09:10:29 CEST 2007

On 7/7/07, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/07, BJ Quinn <bjquinn at seidal.com> wrote:
> > And, lastly... I must say I'm addicted to the keyboard on my Treo 650.
> > I don't know what I'm going to do without it.  I'm going to get a neo
> > when GTA2 comes out in October, regardless, since I would gladly give up
> > 90% of my typing speed simply to get out of the cell phone dark ages.
> > That being said, I think I'm still a firm believer in the absolute need
> > for a hardware keyboard.  I'm open to anyone talking me out of it, but I
> > need to be able to type quickly in situations that aren't necessarily
> > conducive to stylus/finger steadiness, etc... So, is there a possibility
> > of a snap- or slide-on bluetooth or USB thumb keyboard for the neo, or
> > can anyone talk me out of my illogical desire to have a hardware keyboard?

d'oh, sorry BJ. reposted correctly

no, hardware kbs are great. sometimes touchscreens will do, but in
other circumstances, a real tactile interface is needed.

i and a few others have talked a couple of times on here about
alternative cases for the neo. i've put together a list of a few case
designs that the commuity could design and make (FIC are unlikely to
offer alternatives that cover all these requests)

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Alternate_Neo1973_case_designs#Design_Suggestions

i had thought of the hardware kb thing earlier this morning, and have
now added it to the list.

i will be glad to make up a range of 3D models to be used to make the
cases by steroelithograhy, as soon as i can get the dimensions of the
internals from a neo owner

the kb example on the wiki is pretty expensive - there's no reason we
couldn't build a simple usb kb which continues the design flow of the
neo and attaches to it in a nice way