Annoying but inevitable

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Sun Jul 8 11:47:58 CEST 2007

ti, 2007-07-03 kello 07:42 -0400, Vladimir Giszpenc kirjoitti:
> How about a Minority Report type of advertising
> on the phone using the GPS data?  This could even be payed based on
> proximity (bonus when the ad worked).

If the phone-end software is open, it'd be hackable to not display
anything but say it did. If it weren't, I doubt the Moko team would be
willing to put it into the base system (proprietary GPS driver
notwithstanding), especially what with the disclosure of location data
to the ad server. And still it could be removed at will or even
reverse-engineered for the same purpose as an open one would be
modified.

In short, yes, this is evil, but considering the open nature of the
phone, I doubt many marketing people would pay a lot for their ads on
this sort of a platform.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>