NTT-NoGoMoKo in Japan, plus falling back

kenneth marken k-marken at online.no
Sun Jul 8 21:41:17 CEST 2007

On Sunday 08 July 2007 21:24:50 Mikko Rauhala wrote:
> su, 2007-07-08 kello 12:00 -0700, Tim Newsom kirjoitti:
> > Um... Japan does have GSM service...  I am positive as I recently had
> > guests in my house from japan. They brought their cell phones and I
> > showed them how to make them work in the US.
>
> Means nothing. Their phones may be GSM-capable spesifically to work
> overseas. All of my info says that there's no GSM in Japan, but I
> haven't rechecked recently

i kinda recall hearing about being able to get gsm phones for when traveling
abroad or maybe dual mode phones. but then i also kinda recall a neighbour
going to japan and being able to use his gsm phone there so...

> > Does EDGE fall back to gprs?  Does 3G fall back to EDGE or GPRS if the
> > phone doesn't support it?
>
> Given a phone that supports all of the following, HSDPA will fall back
> to plain old UMTS will fall back to EDGE will fall back to GPRS,

and may even fall back to gsm data streams if gprs isnt working or available.
have happened to people in my family.