Is it developer-user ready?

Benjamin Schieder blindcoder at scavenger.homeip.net
Mon Jul 9 10:35:58 CEST 2007

Hi List.

I'm new around here so please forgive me if this is the wrong list to
inquire.

I need a new phone and am almost at the point of ordering a Nea1973
now. (Hooray to you \o/)
As a Linux userspace programmer, I'm really looking forward to finally
write my own mobile phone programs. I've got experience with Garnet OS
programming and always thought about getting a Treo650 back then but
didn't have the cash.

Still, since this is going to be a _replacement_ I'd really love to
have two things possible:
1) Making and receiving calls (doh)
2) Sending and receiving short messages.
   I've read on the gsmd-devel list that this is being worked on.
   I've no problems with creating my own user interface to this.
   (probably will do that anyway)
3) A phone book to store my contacts in would be nice, but for now
   a lack of that wouldn't be a showstopper to me.

Those things are everything I've ever used on a mobile phone since
the applications available were never useful to me. If I could write
my own apps, this would definately change (good bye trusty old Palm V).

Any insights on the above would be great. Don't have to have fancy UI
or anything, just that functionality is there to use from my own
programs is enough.

On that same note, a step-by-step guide on setting up a development
environment on my self-baked Linux system would be nice, too.
For now what I found is this:
	http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenMoko
which doesn't make much sense to me. Will it make sense once I
installed bitbake and the rest of the software?

Thank you for your time,
      Benjamin