gmail.com problems and this list

Marco Barreno barreno at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 9 19:12:58 CEST 2007

Can someone with admin access to the list machine send me the SMTP
logs for one of the duplicated messages?  I'm working in the Gmail
group at Google for the summer and I can have someone try to diagnose
the problem from this end.  The full SMTP logs would be helpful.

Thanks,
Marco

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 01:36:08PM -0400, thus spake David Ford:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > David Ford <david at blue-labs.org> writes:
> >
> >> The log that I posted showed the initial retransmit happening within
> >> google's gmail servers.
> >>

> > The log you showed is exactly want I'd expect if gmail timed out due
> > to a slow "250" reply to the data phase of the SMTP (eg. the final OK
> > didn't happen quickly enough for its liking.)  Or am I missing
> > something?
> >
> > -wolfgang
> >
> You're missing something.  point A is origin, point B is gmail, point C
> is gmail, point D is destination.  From point B to point C is where
> resending is happening.  gmail-B keeps resending to gmail-C who then
> sends it to the destination.
>
> I'm getting dupes from everybody sending mail via gmail.  Dupes to the
> list and dupes from person to person.
>
> -david

"Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power."
    - Eric Hoffer, philosopher and author (1902-1983)