Incommunicado

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Jul 10 04:18:55 CEST 2007

Hmmmmmm,

Last message that arrived here from the Community list:

        Re: Store info - shipping costs
        to Germany
                                  Date:
        Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:37:31 +0100
        (06:37 EDT)

        Internal Server Error
        The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
        was unable to complete your request.

        Please contact the server administrator, webmaster at openmoko.org
        and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you
        might have done that may have caused the error.

        More information about this error may be available in the server
        error log.

Press releases http://www.openmoko.com/press-index.html is a circular
link with no substantive content.

Color choices - appear to be White or Orange, but nothing on the order
page allows a choice to be made.  Reports before the list died indicate
concern about this.

Carrying case link:
http://www.openmoko.com/products-neo-base-00-stdkit.html

        Leads to the same page as the phone link.

No clear indication of level of software/hardware functionality on
either .com or .org sites.

No  obvious links or search results from FIC site at
http://www.fic.com.tw/ (which was also down earlier today).

http://projects.openmoko.org/ gives the impression that very little is
working.  Last "Recently Registered" project dated 4/18/2007.  Last
"Latest News" 4/23/2007.  Zero job openings in any category.

Things are looking bad for the good guys, or at least not real good.

On the plus side, seems to be quite a lot of press buzz, per Google news
search; albeit with substantial doubts raised about carrier acceptance.
I know this is a developer model and I thought I was prepared to jump
in, but am now in wait-and-see mode.

Hope to see the web sites and lists improve, and some better statement
of what functionality early adopters/developers can expect to see, as
well as better info on what does not currently work.  I would really
like to see OpenMoko/Neo1973 succeed, but can't bring myself to invest
just yet.

Phil