openmoko UI/UE Guidelines

Simon Thorsander Simon.Thorsander at teleca.com
Tue Jul 10 11:45:33 CEST 2007

Hi you all!

As recently introduced to the open source domain I must say that the
openmoko-platform/Neo1973-project really has been an eye-opener.

I've been working professionally within the mobile software industry for
several years as interaction designer and I'm candidly looking forward
to "meet" the first freed phone on the mass market.

One of the great advantages with the openmoko-solution (and challenges,
as I see it) is that it potentially facilitates "wholehearted"
liberation of the end user experience as well as customization
possibilities never seen before...

...BUT enclosed with this liberation - UI challenges arise, such as;
consistent UI and permeate intuitive interaction algorithms (especially
when it comes to 3rd party applications). In short time I have come
across UE issues solely through SDK usage in combination with Neo1973
focused conceptual interface paper mockup testing.

This comes down to my introductory "mailing list"-question/discussion:

I've tried to find some sort of UI Guideline/UE Policy concerning the
openmoko platform, but haven't come across any - is there one out there?
Or is the only input available; found at the openmoko Wiki - "Look &
Feel"-section ( http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Look_%26_Feel ).

If the "Look & Feel"-section is the solely source of UE specification
available - is there any discussions going on (e.g. within the openmoko
mailing list's or "externally") concerning how UI design directives
could/should be developed for the community/developers?

/Simon Thorsander

Interaction designer within a small-scale openmoko project at Teleca.