Reason for openmoko - bugsafe?

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Sun Jul 15 15:54:05 CEST 2007

Edwin Lock wrote:
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/92713
>
> Hello Openmokoers!
> This is actually the reason that I got to read about the openmoko, I
> read an article about mobile phones being bug-able some time ago and
> googled for an open linux phone. And I found the openmoko ;)
> Just a quick question, what the police are doing, described in the
> article, is this only software or can that be done with only the gsm
> chip or so? My question is actually: Is the neo protected against this
> kind of bugging or not? It's not that I'm a terrorist or so but I just
> don't feel very safe otherwise ;)

I haven't read the above article.
I assume it's commenting on the possibility of vendor specific commands
to turn the phone on as a bug remotely.
In principle it's possible that TI has hidden this functionality in the
GSM modem.
However, the modem only has its only mic and speaker connections brought
out to a software controllable mixer, so even if they were able to turn
it on, nothing would happen - other than more power being used.