Reason for openmoko - bugsafe?

Rodolphe Ortalo rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr
Sun Jul 15 19:08:30 CEST 2007

Le dimanche 15 juillet 2007 à 11:35 -0500, Simon a écrit :
> > and the phone being able to be remotely turned on without
> > the users knowledge, to act as a bug.
>
> Would that be some sort of "manipulation of private property" ?

This notion of property of the phone could be manipulated too via
properly arranged operators contracts that's not the main point.

IMHO, the issue here is that it constitutes an invasion of your personal
privacy which, if I am not mistaken, is related to a basic human right.
Ref: (sorry, using a French source, but I guess you will recognize
easily its origin)
Art. XII de la Déclaration Universelle des Droits de l'Homme: "Nul ne
sera l'objet d'immixtions arbitraires dans sa vie privée, son domicile
ou sa correspondance..." (UNO, december 1948).

IANAL etc. of course. And of course, I guess this basic right receive
variable treatment in various countries.

Rodolphe