Reason for openmoko - bugsafe?

Fabien fleutot+openmoko at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 19:49:46 CEST 2007

On 7/15/07, Rodolphe Ortalo <rodolphe.ortalo at free.fr> wrote:

> Technically yes.
> However, legally, they cannot do this *arbitrarily*.

technically / legally / arbitrarily: technically it's doable, we agree;
arbitrariness can be debatted in courts indeed, if you ever get to a court.
But the main concern of many people, nowadays, is the definition and
reliability of legality, especially in the US. There are more and more
loopholes allowing agencies to get away with illegal actions. Besides, if
there are legal protections for US citizens, at least in theory, in case of
economic intelligence, they can spy all they want on foreign companies and
their employees. So if you value your privacy, you'd better bet on
technology than on laws and respect thereof. That's an important part of
openmoko's "take your freedom back" stand.

Now, time to pack my tinfoil hat before this goes completely OT :)