Finally I received another response from OpenMoko Shop

Steven ** montgoss+openmokocommunity at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 19:56:36 CEST 2007

Of course, "stuff for the phone" can already be written without any
hardware.  So, if you only intend to write a task list or something like
that that has nothing to do with the GSM or GPS chips, you probably don't
need the hardware.  Maybe some people working on UI things need the
touchscreen to see how it really behaves.  But I think most applications
could be mostly developed without hardware.

I am a developer.  But I didn't order because:
1.  I'm kinda lazy.  I've had "play with OpenMoko" on my task list for
probably 3 months and I still haven't written a single line of code for it.
I have a lot of things on my task list...
2.  Even when I get around to writing code for OpenMoko, I don't plan to do
low-level stuff and don't think I need hardware to finish the bulk of my
idea(s).
3.  I want wifi.  I could probably afford to buy both the v1 and v2 phones,
but wifi access really expands the usage scenarios for me.  (I'm thinking of
all the ways I would use the Neo1973 while at home)

-Steven