Reason for openmoko - bugsafe?

David "Lefty" Schlesinger lefty at access-company.com
Sun Jul 15 20:12:08 CEST 2007

Lars Hallberg wrote:
> I think the issue is if the phone can bug *any* conversation You have
> when the phone is around, not only phone conversations. That is a
> valid concern. And I believe Neo can be safe if we make sure to use
> the mixer to turn of the mic/speaker connection to the gsm chip while
> there is no active phonecall... That is... unless ti have a mic on the
> gsm chip :-)
I'm personally quite confident that if some government or other decides
that they need to listen in on my conversations, my having a cellphone
which won't cooperate with them isn't going to slow them down
particularly. I'm also quite confident that I'm not interesting enough
to any government for them to go to the trouble.

On my list of "things to worry about", this possibility ranks a good bit
below things like "being struck by lightning" and "being eaten by a
Great White Shark".