Again: Advertising thoughts

Jae Stutzman jaebird at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 01:54:43 CEST 2007

> Just one thing: the general public doesn't even know the word "Linux".

I don't really agree with the stance that Linux is a bad word here and I
don't think that it is bad to associate with "Linux". Microsoft has been
pushing Windows Mobile for years to try to leverage their so-called easy to
use OS as compared with Palm. Not that Linux is the all powerful word to use
to get people on board either. But to say that openmoko is built on Linux
(or GNU/Linux for the truly hardcore) is generally a positive thing because
Linux is the embodiment of open and free in the current computing world. The
thing that must be stressed is that the phone is open, not closed, both in
speech and in beer.

One more thing. I'd agree that people watching TV commercials may not know
what Linux is (except for those IBM ads a few years ago). But youtube
ads...come on, most have at least heard about that non-Microsoft thing!

Jae