Again: Advertising thoughts

Visti Andresen talpa at galnet.dk
Mon Jul 16 11:35:28 CEST 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:47:34 +0200
Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch> wrote:

> On Monday 16 July 2007 02:39:56 Jae Stutzman wrote:
> > demonstrated it. What is the point of all this anyways: promoting freedom.
> > The consumer isn't an idiot, although MS would want us all to believe it.
> > If you don't like Linux use "Powered by FOSS". But don't believe the FUD.
>
> In my experience, many people actively get scared when you mention Linux (even
> though they may very well be using Firefox or even Thunderbird on their
> Windows boxes! Or Linux on their WRT54, for that matter ;-). In my view, you
> shouldn't advertise Linux, but make clear it's running on it when people
> actually *use* it. If they are scared about "the evil command line" they
> won't even dare trying it!

It should at least be noted somewhere when the user performs the purchase.
Otherwise they might think it runs symbian/windows mobile(or that the
heck it's called this week)
which may make the a bit annoyed when there favourite application x,y,z
can't run on there new phone.

Btw. isn't this discussion getting a bit ahead of current development?
The first developer versions that CAN'T make an reliable GSM call
hasn't shipped yet.

Oh yes in case I haven't said so before, I don't like the oval design,
know the device currently can't do much, also know that it will cost
me a significant amount of my scarce free time.

BUT still I want it badly enough to actually buy this "expensive"
toy, probably ought to get an appointment with some sort of mental
institution :)