this phone, with WiFi

Visti Andresen talpa at galnet.dk
Mon Jul 16 12:01:09 CEST 2007

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:11:08 +0300
Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> su, 2007-07-15 kello 20:22 -0700, Doug Jones kirjoitti:
> > Anyway, figuring out how to power an external WiFi adapter isn't the
> > main issue.  The question is, is it worth the time to monkey around with
> > WiFi drivers for hardware that isn't going into the final product, just
> > so we can test WiFi apps before the proper hardware is available?
>
> Drivers should be trivial if you pick the right adapter; at least you
> need to tinker with cables to get the power-feed together. So yes, if
> one is motivated to develop spesifically WiFi stuff at this point, it
> shouldn't be too much of a bother.

Or just want a wifi based Ethernet connection badly enough to break out
the soldering iron, there will probably be some problems with making the
hack internally...

But if the space issue is solveable (there is enough room for)
an USB wifi dongle (striped of the case and USB plug)
a GPIO controlled DC-DC converter (and diode?)

AND that the USB spec. violations? (capacitance and resistance of the
cables used) isn't a problem....

Also I'm not 100% sure if it is okay to have two slave devices connected
to the same cable(if it isn't one can no longer do an usb firmware upgrade)

But if all of the issues are solved one gets an internally wifi enabled
phone. (The joy)
But I must admit I think I'll stick with USB and/or PAN networking
for quite a while...