gentoo qemu (was Re: Binary tarball of toolchain/build environment)

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 13:40:38 CEST 2007

On Monday 16 July 2007 11:38, Jeff Rush wrote:
> Al Johnson wrote:
> > I was going to suggest this too. This is the approach taken for the
> > Neuros OSD, another linux-based device. It would give a known-working
> > build and test environment, rather than having potential developers
> > spending time trying to put such an environment together. Mokomakefile is
> > good, but I just can't get the qemu to build under gentoo.
>
> A good idea re providing a VM.  BTW, I run Gentoo also and QEMU using
> Mokomakefile built with no problems here.  Are you trying to do it with GCC
> 4.x?  It supposedly is a known bug and you need to use GCC 3.x.
> Fortunately you can have both installed at the same time and use them where
> needed.  I have GCC 3.x set as the default compiler.
>
> # equery list gcc
> [I--] [ -] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r2 (3.4)
> [I--] [ -] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2 (4.1)

I have both too, and use gcc-config to switch when emerging qemu. If I select
3.4.6 with gcc-config then run 'make qemu' mtn complains:
	mtn: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/libstdc++.so.6:
version 'GLIBCXX_3.4.6' not found (required by mtn)
	mtn: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/libstdc++.so.6:
version 'CXXABI_1.3.1' not found (required by mtn)
	Makefile: 28: *** Cannot determine version for monotone using "mtn -version".
Stop.

Keeping gcc-config with 4.1.2 and tweaking Makefile setup-qemu to
include --cc=gcc-3.4.6 after --target-list=arm-softmmu gets further, but dies
after a bunch of errors in usb-linux-gadget.c

I have linux-headers-2.6.21 as suggested elsewhere, but it seems not to have
made any difference. This is on x86 - I've had even less luck on amd64.